FAIR RUBBER ACHIEVEMENTS
WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE FAIR TRADE PREMIUMS?
Fairly produced rubber has only a tiny market share. Since 2012, a little over 300 tonnes of dry rubber content have been traded according to the criteria of the Fair Rubber Association. As a result of this, more than 150.000 € of Fair Trade premiums could be passed on to our producer partners. Each plantation has a Joint Body which decides which Fair Trade projects are selected. Fair Trade projects so far have included the following:
- The first private supplementary pension fund for rubber plantation workers in India.
- The supply of clean drinking water for 64 families in a plantation in Sri Lanka.
- The expansion of the processing capacity of the small farmer association in Sri Lanka, enabling more small farmers to join and participate.
- The construction of a biogas unit to clean the water and supply gas for the smoke house (small farmers in Sri Lanka).
- Provision of electricity for 21 families in a Sri Lankan plantation so that their children too are able to do their homework after dark.
- Financial support for extraordinary medical expenses and weddings.